Broncos Analysis: Round 6 Player Analysis and Round 7 team selection
Posted on April 18, 2018
Leave a Comment
Following each round of the NRL Premiership and Intrust Super Cup, each contracted Broncos player’s season-to-date performance is analysed and ranked against their internal competition.
This analysis process initially categorises players into one of three positional categories (with the exception of Corey Oates, Darius Boyd and Jack Bird who are each considered in two positional categories due to their versatility):
- centres and wingers
- halves, hooker and fullback.
Once categorised, each player’s output in defined key performance indicators (KPIs) for their respective positional category is then considered, using data sourced from the NRL and QRL.
Different weightings are then assigned to the KPI data considered for each positional group based on the assumption that the cornerstones of the Broncos’ tactical basis is as follows:
- To minimise missed tackles (=<2 missed tackles per player per game) in all positional categories.
- To generate 100+ run metres and multiple offloads per game from each player in the forward positional group (to create second phase play for the halves, hooker and/or fullback to individually break the opposition’s defensive line or create line break opportunities for the centre and wing positional group).
- To generate 100+ run metres and multiple line breaks per game from each player within the centre and winger positional group.
- To have at least 2 long kicking options and 2 short kicking options amongst the halves, hooker and fullback positional group.
The findings provide an invaluable insight as to:
- how each player ranks against their internal competition within their positional category; and
- which 17 players make up the Broncos’ most productive team.
Internal player rankings
Following Round 6 of the NRL and Intrust Super Cup, the player rankings are as follows:
Centres and wingers
Halves, hooker and fullback
Round 7 lineup
Based on the above analytical comparison, the 17 players which comprise the Broncos’ most productive team for their Round 7 clash versus the Storm would appear to be as follows:
- Anthony Milford
- Corey Oates
- Marion Seve
- Jonus Pearson
- Gehamat Shibasaki
- Darius Boyd
- Sam Scarlett
- Matt Lodge
- Troy Dargan
- Payne Haas
- Patrick Carrigan
- Tevita Pangai Jnr
- Josh McGuire
- Corey Allan
- Sam Tagatese
- George Fai
- Joe Ofahengaue